- Degree in Civil Engineering (Laurea), University of Pavia, Italy (1981)
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSc), University of California, Berkeley, USA (1985)
- Doctorate in Structural Engineering (PhD), Polytechnic of Milan, Italy (1987)
- Foundation Stiftelsen Blanceflor Boncompagni Ludovisi Fellow (1985)
- Fulbright Fellow (1984–1985)
- Professor of Structural Engineering, IUSS Pavia (www.iusspavia.it/eng)
- Professor of Structural Engineering, University of Pavia (www.unipv.it) (until 2010)
- Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego (1990)
- Founder and Director, ROSE School, IUSS, Pavia (about 120 graduate students in earthquake engineering and engineering seismology, rate of acceptance lower than 5 %, www.roseschool.it , www.meees.org )
- Founder and President, EUCENTRE, Pavia (the most powerful laboratory for earthquake engineering research in Europe, about 110 research associates, www.eucentre.it )
- Component of the Board of Directors, INGV, Rome (www.ingv.it )
- Component of the Scientific Committee, OGS, Trieste (www.ogs.trieste.it )
- Component of the Board of Directors, GEM Foundation, Pavia (www.globalquakemodel.org )
- Component of the Italian National Committee for Major Risks
- Component of the Scientific Committee of the Milan EXPÒ 2015
- Principal, Studio Calvi s.rl. (a small design company, with about 40 employs, www.studiocalvi.eu )
- Principal, EQCO s.rl. (a small consulting company on earthquake engineering, www.eqco.it )
- Designer, consultant or checker for hundreds of structural projects, among which:
- the 119-spans Bolu viaduct, Turkey, heavily damaged by the Duzce earthquake, 1999
- the Rion Antirion 2,883 m cable stayed bridge, Greece, spans of 560 m
- the co-generation plant in Acerra, Neaples, with a burning capacity of 600,000 ton/y of garbage and a nominal power of 130 MW)
- the South Crossing, a cable stayed bridge in Ecuador with spans of 420 m
- the new housing system after L’Aquila earthquake, 2009, with 180 buildings seismically isolated with about 7,000 devices, completed in about six months.
- Principal Investigator for 16 major projects over about 20 years, total funding exceeding 100 M€.
- Author of more than 250 publications on seismic design and assessment of different kinds of structures, among which:
- Seismic design and retrofit of bridges (with M.J.N. Priestley and F. Seible, Wiley, 1996,) a book translated into Chinese and Japanese and sold in more than 10,000 copies
- Displacement-based seismic design of structures (with M.J.N. Priestley and M.J. Kowalsky, IUSS Press, 2007) a book sold in more than 1,500 copies, being translated into Spanish, Farsi and Italian.
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Earthquake Engineering (JEE), IC Press (Taylor and Francis, http://www.worldscinet.com/jee/jee.shtml , Abstracting/Indexing: Earthquake Engineering Abstracts® (NISEE), International Civil Engineering Abstracts®, CSA Health and Safety Abstracts, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch®)
- Editor of “Progettazione Sismica”, a quarterly journal in Italian printed in 5,000 copies (IUSS Press , www.iusspress.it )
- Invited keynote lecturer in 18 international conferences.
- Recipient (among many) of the fib Award for Outstanding Concrete Structure “for the contribution to the design and construction of the Rion – Antirion Bridge” (2006)
- Honorary Doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina (2009)
- Award La Lombardia per il Lavoro, Milano (2010)